Blog post #2

In episode 2 of “Ways of seeing” , John Berger talks about the difference between nude and nakedness .Nudity is a kind of disguise in order to judge the female body while nakedness is a woman without clothes. According to Berger women are being objectified by men and women as a subject of a gaze. I believe that the same is happening nowadays in the social media and women are still determined by the male gaze. On the other hand , women can have more control over their images by controlling what they view and where they focused on social media. In addition, sexuality always played and still plays a significant role in images of women especially since social media included to our lives and exist mostly to shape public attitudes.

3 thoughts on “Blog post #2

• March 19, 2022 at 8:42 pm
    Permalink

yes, I agree with you. today, women have more control over their image as they can post what they would like to share. although they are still influenced by the male gaze and seen as objects for male pleasure.

• March 25, 2022 at 1:52 pm
    Permalink

Panagiota, interesting thoughts here. I’m wondering if you can say more about why you see these attitudes persisting.

• March 29, 2022 at 11:02 am
      Permalink

I assume that this attitudes persisting because stereotypes are still existing while ‘male gaze’ affect the way women engage with the social media .