Woman objectifying woman

On his second episode in “Ways of Being”, Berger says how ‘woman has to survey everything she is and everything she does because how she appears to others, and ultimately how she appears to men, is of crucial importance for what is normally thought of as the success of her life.’ This is what is generally thought after analyzing the nude oil paintings on Europe before and during 19th century. But what I think is that the same phenomena continues to happen nowadays as well. During the nude painting era man were the ones to objectify woman and they were the spectators. While nowadays, I think that women are objectifying women themselves, they are the ones that pose and the one that judge, the performer and the spectator at the same time. This is seen mostly on social media like Instagram or TikTok, where woman objectify their bodies using them to have attention and to gain popularity. Before, male figure would have control on woman image and she would not even be allowed to touch her breasts because her man wouldn’t allow her. Today women claim that they have control over their bodies. On the one hand, this is true because most woman around the world are shown to have control and to express themselves how they want to. But on the other hand, i think that women don’t have that much of control over their bodies as they claim. What is controlling them today is social media. A big number of women are seen to follow role models that appear on social media. They try to copy them in a way they lose their identity. They become someone they are not. Overall, i think that this phenomena is going to be discussed for more years to come. Human nature is complex in an infinite way.

3 thoughts on “Woman objectifying woman

• March 20, 2022 at 11:48 am
    Permalink

I agree with you and I think women are expressing themselves more than centuries ago, just because the fear of being judged has gone. Therefore, social media are controlling people in good/bad ways, but everything depends on how people see those posts and how they interpret them.

• March 25, 2022 at 1:38 pm
    Permalink

Interesting comments here. I wonder what you mean by saying that social media is doing the controlling. How can that be? Isn’t it just a kind of platform?

• March 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
      Permalink

The reason why I think that social media is controlling woman nowadays is because of the rewards they get through it. One of them is the attention they get. The other one is the monetary rewards they get out of posting pictures. I want to point out that I am talking about woman who show their bodies and use them for such reason. Also is the fact that woman get influenced by other woman in these platforms, in a way they get ‘trapped’ in what is considered acceptable on social media. So on one hand the social media is a platform, and in the other hand is controlling us in a devious way.